Healthy Food Recipes: Hummus! Hummus! Hummus Recipe!
- Dec 28, 2017
- Category: Food
If you've ever met me, you probably know one of my favorite foods is hummus! In fact, people wanted me to name my dog Chickpea! I went with Monkey instead! As a Detroiter, it'd practically be a crime if I didn't love this rich, smooth, garlicky dip. With two of the nation's largest Jewish and Arab populations, the Detroit Metro area has Middle Eastern restaurants on almost every corner. And I'm not complaining. I just wish there were more in San Diego! I have somewhat perfected the art of hummus making over the years, so here is my hummus recipe that's healthy, fresh, and easy-to-make! Plus, it's vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free, filled with lots of healthy fats and protein!
Keep in mind, the more traditional Middle Eastern version is smoother and creamier while what I consider "hippie hummus" is a bit more chunky. It all depends how much oil and/or water you add in while pureeing it. You decide what version you want based on how you enjoy it most.
INGREDIENTS for my Hummus Recipe:
In every batch:
- 1 Can Chickpeas aka Garbanzo Beans (you can either use canned beans or boil dry beans)
- 1 Tablespoon Tahini (ground sesame seeds which adds a rich, nutty flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Clove Fresh Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Salt & Pepper
Now add in a pinch of any of these combos that most excite you! I prefer using fresh herbs to dry herbs if I can help it.
- Cilantro & Ginger
- Spinach & Jalapeno Pepper
- Roasted Red Pepper & Parsley
- And so many more!
DIRECTIONS to make my Hummus Recipe:
- Pour all ingredients into your blender and turn on high
- Occasionally stop the blender to stir it up to make sure all ingredients are mixing well toward the bottom
- Add in whatever herbs and spices as needed
- Pour onto a plate
- Dip veggies, chips, or straight up spoon it into your mouth--you can't go wrong. Dig in!